Qui Tam Whistleblower
free case evaluation
You and your family deserve tailored advice delivered with compassion. Let us guide you through your options so you can move forward with your life. We are happy to travel to meet with you if you cannot make it to our offices. Hablamos español.
Whenever private citizens recognize an act of fraud against the government by a company or other entity, citizens can provide that information to establish a legal claim. These qui tam whistleblower cases not only allow the government to correct and recover from acts of fraud but also give the whistleblower the chance to receive a financial reward if the suit is successful.
Why Choose Us as Your Lawyers
At Rafii & Associates, P.C., we have the skills and resources to handle your qui tam whistleblower claim. Our attorneys:
- Have over 75 years of combined experience in employment law, with significant experience in qui tam whistleblower claims.
- Maintain an open line of communication with our clients, keeping in direct contact throughout the entire process.
- Are available 24/7, including weekends, to give the best representation possible.
If you believe you have grounds for a California qui tam whistleblower case, contact our attorneys today.
Qui Tam and the False Claims Act
Qui tam claims are possible through the federal False Claims Act, which allows private citizens to serve claims on the behalf of the government upon discovering evidence of fraud on a company or entity’s part. Violations of the federal False Claims Act include:
- Knowingly presenting false or fraudulent claims for payment to the government.
- Knowingly using a false record or statement to have the government pay a claim.
- Working with others to have the government pay a false or fraudulent claim.
- Knowingly using a false record or statement to avoid or reduce an obligation to pay money or transmit property to the federal government.
Any of these actions can serve as grounds for a private citizen to file a qui tam claim on behalf of the government.
Filing a Qui Tam Whistleblower Case
After you’ve established grounds for a qui tam whistleblower case, the procedures differ from other types of claims. For a claim to be valid, you must do so confidentially and under seal, and you must keep the information confidential until the seal is no longer in place. Rather than serving the defendant, you must serve the government with a copy of the complaint and all the relevant information and material evidence related to the claim.
Once it receives the materials, the government will investigate the claim, including interviewing the whistleblower. If the case has merit, the government will intervene, continuing the case. If the claim is successful, the whistleblower will receive a reward, often 15% to 25% of the amount recovered in the case.
If the government decides to not pursue the claim, often due to insufficient resources or lack of merit in the allegations, the case is no longer under seal. The litigation can then continue in a similar manner to other lawsuits.
Why Do You Need a Lawyer?
The attorneys at Rafii & Associates, P.C. have extensive experience in all types of California employment law – including qui tam whistleblower cases. If you’re unsure if your case has enough ground for a lawsuit or you’re ready to start your case, reach out to us to schedule a free initial consultation today.